The Middle challenges you to ride 150km through the Pondoland from Magwa Tea Estate (Mboyti) to the Wild Coast Sun over 4 days. The challenge takes place from the 29th October – 1st November.
The Middle Challenge is a not a race. It’s an adventure. At The Middle, we believe adventure teaches us more about who we are, whats important to us, what we can achieve and how to navigate The Middle in other areas of our lives.
Find more on how The Middle challenge came about and stories of previous challenges, click here.
Day 1: 29th October [35km]
We arrive at the wild coast sun at 7am, load the bikes into the trailer and transfer through to Magwa Tea Plantation to begin our ride to Mboyti. Arrive ready to ride, with backpack packed and bags ready to be taken straight to the accommodation. We leave our cars parked in the underground parking and head off. After arrival at Magwa Tea Plantation we ready our bikes and head off to explore the plantations and waterfalls in the area before tackling an epic concrete downhill finish into Mboyti.
Day 2: 30th October [35km]
We leave Mboyti head along the beach before ascending sugarloaf to reach the escarpment. The run and ride is mostly on single track with some epic sights along the way like cathedral rock and waterfall bluff. After navigating along champagne alley, where the spray from the wild coast waves will cool us all down, we pass Luputhana and continue along single track and beach, past Grosvenor to Msikaba.
Day 3: 31st October [37km]
Before continuing the journey north, we head inland to see the magnificent vultures at the vulture colony. After watching them take flight in the morning sun, we head back down to the coast, ferrying across the river before entering the Mkambati nature reserve. We hug the coastline with whales on our right and eland on our left before reaching Gwe-Gwe where we turn inland and go on the hunt for large herds of zebra and red hartebeest. Our ride takes us round to horseshoe falls, then down to Mkambati falls before spilling out onto the beach for the final stretch to Mtentu River Lodge.
Day 4: 1st November [35km]
A mixture of beach and inland jeep track means we wind our way through red deserts and epic point breaks on our way back to wild coast sun. We cross two of the bigger rivers on this day. Hard sand at low tide means we put our bikes into gear and cruise singlehandedly to the finish.
Total km’s: Approx 150km’s.
Cost: R6250 which includes:
• Transfers from Wild Coast Sun to Mboytji.
• Accommodation: Our approach is to support local businesses so we stay in local lodges and backpackers. Whilst not luxurious, all accommodation is comfortable. Please expect to share rooms.
• Food & Bev: This includes breakfast, lunch and supper as well as some snacks for the journey. Water will also be on hand and some fruit juices. Please bring any specific snacks and nutrition that you prefer. Alcoholic beverages from the lodges or local shebeens are for your account.
• Guided Experience: The Middle Challenge [Pondo] is run in association with Single Track Adventures. Owner, Gareth Jaap, along with Travis from The Middle, will lead us along the way and be on hand to sort out any technical issues.
• Donation. A portion of these funds will be used to support sustainable initiatives in the Eastern Cape. More details to follow.
All you need to bring is a serviced mountain bike as well as all gear as per The Middle Challenge gear requirements list to be provided.
Contact us to reserve your space.