The Middle Adventures offer tweens the opportunity to go on an adventure whilst learning valuable skills for navigating everyday life.
Adventure 1 is titled ‘Be True To Yourself‘. During this adventure, each child will learn:
- How to use a compass and read a map.
- How to pack for and prepare for a hike.
- How to determine what their ‘true north‘ is i.e. the values which help them make decisions each day.
- How to remain true to their values despite peer pressure and temptations.
Aimed at 10 – 13 year olds, the adventure offers practical skills and tools along with lots of space to enjoy the outdoors, swim in natural pools and rivers, meet other children and have some meaningful fun. The adventure takes place in the Southern Drakensberg and includes a 10km hike which requires moderate fitness. The pace will be chilled with lots of pit stops along the way.
Each child will receive a Suunto compass, a journal for the adventure and upon completion, a ‘be true to yourself’ badge.
The group will be limited to 7 children and their parent(s). Whilst we will facilitate the whole adventure, time will be carved out for each parent to have quality conversations with their child.
The Middle Adventure Agenda
- 17:00 – Arrival and settle in at Sani Pass Lodge, 3hrs from Durban.
- 17:30 – Compass skills and map orientation.
- 18:00 – Dinner and prep for the hike.
- 06:00 – Breakfast and final prep.
- 07:00 – Depart on the hike. We will hike from the venue in a circuit that brings us back to the start.
- 15:00 – Return to the lodge for milkshakes, chill time, board games and swimming.
- 17:30 – Badge ceremony.
- 18:00 – Dinner.
- 07:30 – Breakfast.
- 08:00 – Swimming and packing.
- 09:00 – Wrap up and depart.
- One or two parents are welcome to attend with each child.
- The adventure is aimed at children between 10 – 13 years old. Try to bring them without younger or older siblings for focussed attention.
- Your child will require their own backpack. The compass forms part of a series of adventures and tools which they can place in their bag each time they attend a Middle Adventure. They can also sew their badge onto their backpack.
- You will need to ensure you can carry water and nutrition in your own packs during the hike.
- The venue is a lodge so there will be other guests that we need to be mindful of.
- The menu will be a simple one inclusive of a braai, pasta, muesli / fruit breakfasts.
- Nutrition such as sandwiches, biscuits, bars and fruit will be provided for the hike.
- A recommended kit list will be sent out before the adventure.
R2350 per child. This fee is inclusive of accommodation, facilitation and event co ordination, food, hiking nutrition, a Suunto compass, a Middle Adventure journal, completion badge and park fees.
R1800 per parent. This fee is inclusive of accommodation, facilitation and event co ordination, food, hiking nutrition and park fees. Any specific food / drink requirements are for your own account.
To book, or for any other questions please email email@example.com